It doesn’t take much to transform your backyard into a patriotic party zone, but the key is to do as much as you can in advance. Here are some steps to prepare the backyard for your 4ht of July party:
- Tidy up the yard and patrol the grounds for any “pet presents” on the lawn.
- Straighten up the house (especially the kitchen and bathrooms).
- Inspect the grill to make sure it works
- Set up any 4th of July decorations you want, such as tiki torches, twinkle lights, American flags and patriotic streamers.
- Hang up an American flag – If you don’t own one, Independence Day is a great time to buy a flag for your home. Hang it out front and leave it up for year round patriotism. Don’t forget to light it up. The Flag Code states that “it is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness”. Consider adding some permanent lighting to display the flag in its full glory, day and night.
- Set up picnic area – Where will everyone sit to eat? You may need to consider a table for buffet-style dining as well as a makeshift yard dining area. This is a chance to get super creative. Red, white, and blue plates, napkins, straws, silverware, and candles are always great table accessories. Your casual spot for eating and entertaining should be comfortable and themed. Also, pre-plan your menu with BBQ favorites like hamburgers and kabobs to get the most out of this All American Day.
- Keep the bugs at bay – Be prepared to help your guests beat the bugs with a combination of sprays, citronella candles, and bug lights. You can also install thermally shielded light fixtures to reduce the heat signature of your outdoor lights. This helps deter those insects who use the heat market to track food. Traditional incandescent lights attract the most insects; warm LEDs attract the least.
- It is safer to keep your pets at home during Fourth of July celebrations instead of bringing him to your neighbor’s party. Keep your pets in the house, rather than in your yard. Set up a place indoors where your dogs can retreat to if things get overwhelming. Make it a place with a few favorite toys, a cushy dog bed, and perhaps an outer door that can be shut to muffle some of the noise.
- The best way to ensure that your Independence Day party is a success is to plan out the details ahead of time so stress is minimized and you can enjoy the festivities along with your guests. No matter what event you are planning, whether it’s a 4th of July party, corporate event, or wedding reception, or birthday celebration contact My Event Kings for all your event lighting needs. We offer free quotes at (951)402-2000 or visit us online at www.MyEventKings.com for a list of services we offer.